Tuesday 6 May 2008

Breastfeeding musings

Today we were out. We went to the market and the shopping mall. First the market and then for lunch to the mall. When we were sitting there having lunch I noticed 2 women coming in with their babies.
The blond woman's baby was very young, I suspect only a few days old. The mother had trouble walking and looked like she had just given birth. Her partner was with her, but she was pushing the pram and holding the shopping bags. It looked strange to me.
The other woman's baby was about 3 months I think, looking at the behaviour of that baby in comparison to my own.
When I was observing them I was wondering how they would ever survive in another area of this world.
Both babies were in prams, no carrying.
Both babies were bottle fed.
The oldest baby's mum was continuously rattling with a bright coloured plastic toy in front of the baby's crying face. She was just continuing her conversation.
In view of my own views of child care, this was all very wrong.
I couldn't understand how a crying baby could just be ignored. I could also not understand that someone would not want to have a baby close to them, like on their lap or something like that.
Furthermore I totally fail to understand why only 1 in a 100 women in the UK follow the advice of health care professionals to breastfeed their baby.
BBC News: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6653679.stm

A baby expects at birth to be breastfed, the whole body of the baby is designed to digest human milk, not a substitute. For a baby its the norm to be breastfed, why do most people not see that.

A baby expects to be held a lot, not being put in some place, but expects to be with mum or dad, or big sister, aunt, uncle, who ever. Somebody that can protect the baby from harm. That is an expectation baby has at birth, its inside the baby, its disturbing for a baby to put somewhere alone, its traumatising.

A baby expects interaction with people, not plastic.

A baby expects to be nurtured at the breast, comforted at the breast, not at a plastic dummy.

A baby expects to be taken seriously, not ignored, because this and that writer, who didn't have kids when they wrote the book or has totally mentally disturbed kids, says that babies only need attention 1x every 3 hours and doesn't need anything when they are fed and cleaned.
I sure as hell need more attention than that, so why can a baby not get the same amount of attention.

Just like that I do not like to have to wee and poo in my underpants, that is just not right, babies also know when they need to eliminate. They expect help with that. Most people won't give them that help.

That's all for now with my frustrations of the day. No doubt more to come later.

No comments: