Saturday 26 January 2008

Fermentation success!

A while ago I used a recipe from Sally Fallon's Nourishing Traditions to use some left over cabbage to make some Kimchee. Its wasn't difficult. Today we tasted it. It tasted great.
DP has been in Korea in the past and the taste seemed to be very similar, it just looked different he said. In Korea it seemed to look more red, which I think is because of the hot pepper sauce / paste they use there. I used dried chili's.
I loved the taste, didn't have any Kimchee before, so I don't know how its supposed to taste.
I am happy that I managed to make it, as this has motivated me to continue with my fermenting experiments to make sure our family gets nutritionally better food.

I have had some successes in the past with making a sourdough starter, this time it went wrong, so I will start over tomorrow.

My other success of this week was that I managed to revive my water kefir, I made orange ade with it and it tasted very good. I will try some other ways as well, with lime and lemon and whatever else I can think of. I sure have to dig into this stuff much more, as I do prefer having the healtier foods in life and the water kefir give a soda like drink, nice and fizzy.

Kombucha is also on my list to start again, so is milk kefir, yoghurt making and raw cheese making. And of course sauerkraut.

No comments: