Monday 19 January 2009

co-sleeping success

My dear partner slept in a cot in his own room without any attention at night, screaming or not, from birth. So when he and I spent the odd weekend together he had problems sleeping that one Saturday night because I was there right next to him in a king size bed. He wasn't used to it. Then slowly but carefully he did get used to it. After a while he was able to have our bodies touch while we were sleeping there, which I really enjoyed.
A while after that I got unplanned pregnant. So I discussed the family bed with him, as I had done the family bed with my older 2 children. He was afraid he wouldn't be able to sleep again until the baby would leave our bed. I told him that he got used to co-sleeping with me, so he probably would be able to get used to having a baby with us. At first our baby didn't move much after she was born, so he had no problems, but as she grew older and managed to move around more he did get the odd night that he had trouble sleeping, but he did enjoy having her next to him. He didn't see her 5 days a week so he needed the nights to bond, so he persevered. He loved having her around and managed to relax and sleep. Not always all night, but who does.
After 4 years with her alone in our bed I was pregnant again and of course our new baby would sleep with us. This got my partner a bit anxious as he didn't know how 4 would fit in the bed. I told him to relax, we would see how things would work. Time would tell. Time did tell. Initially our youngest was at the side of the bed, but the she got more active and my partner noticed his bond with our 4yo was stronger than with our youngest, so we switched, our 4yo went to the side of our bed next to me and the baby in the middle. Later on the baby was nearly a year she was big enough to be next to her big sister and now the both of the are "in the middle". Sometimes almost pushing me out of the bed, sometimes almost pushing my partner out of the bed.
I think this is quite a success story on co-sleeping. My partner had to learn to co-sleep and he succeeded very well. Its done him good the physical contact with me and our girls.

No comments: